Welcome to my homepage! I am currenlty an Assistant Professor of Data Analytics at Shannon School of Business, Cape Breton University in Sydney, Canada. I am also an Adjunct Professor at the Faculty of Computer Science/School of Information Management at Dalhsouie University , Canada. I provide Data Science consultancy for different companies as well.
Assistant Professor in Data Analytics
- Assistant professor: Cape Breton University (CBU)
- Adjunct: Dalhousie University
- Research Interests: Data Analytics, Linked Data
- Ph.D.: Information and Knowledge Engineering
- Master: Software Engineering
- Bachelor: Software Engineering
I was a postdoctoral fellow at Dalhousie University. I received my PhD in “Information and Knowledge Engineering” from University of Alcala in Spain. I participated in different European research projects during my PhD and published several JCR papers in Computer Science journals (Google Scholar).
- Knowledge of Data Analytics, Data Visualization, Knowledge Engineering, and Semantic Web
- Experienced in teaching computer science and data analytics courses at graduate and undergraduate level
- Awarded NSERC Discovery Grant and Mitacs Research Training
PhD in Information and Knowledge Engineering
2012 - 2015
Univeristy of Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Spain
- Thesis title: Interlinking educational data to Web of Data
- Thesis mark: Excellent (Cum Laude)
Master of Software Engineering
2001 - 2004
Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran
- Thesis title: Developing a management information system to manipulate Jini Home Networks
- Thesis mark: Excellent (20 out of 20)
- GPA: 18.24 out of 20 (32 Units)
- Award: First ranked student
Bachelor of Software Engineering
1997 - 2001
Razi University of Kermanshah, Iran
- Thesis title: Implementation of an ISP accounting system for university
- Thesis mark: Excellent (19.5 out of 20)
- GPA: 15.65 out of 20 (140 Units)
- Award: Second ranked student
Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Data Analytics
2019 - Present
Shanon School of Business, Cape Breton University, Canada
- Teaching Data Analytics courses in Business Analytics program
- Research in Data Analytics and Semantic Web
2017 - 2019
REDspace, Halifax, Canada
- Developed several Big Data analytics dashboards
- Experinced working with Databricks, PySpark and machine learning techniques
2015 - 2017
Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhsouie Univeristy
- Researched on a semantic data analytics framework in healthcare systems
- Experinced in developing mobile and web applications in healthcare
2012 - 2015
Univeristy of Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Spain
- Researched on Semantic Web and Linked Data projects
- Developed several Linked Data platforms in different European projects including Open Discovery Space project (http://www.opendiscoveryspace.eu)
2009 - 2012
Islamic Azad University of Saveh, Iran
- Taught computer science courses
- Researched on Semantic Web and Linked Data
- Thomas, T. and Rajabi, E. (2021). A systematic review of machine learning-based missing value imputation techniques, Data Technologies and Applications Vol. ahead-of-print No. ahead-of-print. https://doi.org/10.1108/DTA-12-2020-0298
- Sanchez-Alonso S., Sicilia M.-A., Rajabi, E., Cantallops M.-M., García Barriocanal E. (2020) Class and Instance Equivalences in the Web of Linked Data: Distribution and Graph Structure, MTSR 2020, pp. 13-21.
- Rajabi, E. (2020). Towards Linking Government Data in Canada, International Journal of Metadata, Semantics, and Ontologies, vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 209-217.
- Rajabi, E., Sanchez-Alonso, S. (2019). Knowledge Discovery using SPARQL Property Path: The Case of Disease Dataset, Journal of Information Science (JIS), published online: https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551519865495 .
- Rajabi, E., Greller, W. (2019), Exposing Social Data as Linked Data in Education, International Journal of Semantic Web and Information System, 15(2), 92-106. doi:10.4018/IJSWIS.2019040105.
- Rajabi, E., Sanchez-Alonso S., Sicilia M.-A., Manouselis N. (2015). A linked and open dataset from a network of learning repositories on organic agriculture, British Journal of Educational Technology, published online: ,doi:10.1111/bjet.12341.
- Rajabi, E., Vogias K., Sanchez-Alonso S., Hatzakis I. (2015). e-Learning Object Ingestion in an Open Educational Environment. Bulletin of the IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology, vol. 12, No. 1-2, pp. 14-17.
- Rajabi, E., Sicilia M.-A., Sanchez-Alonso S. (2015). Interlinking Educational Resources to Web of Data through IEEE LOM. Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 233–255. https://doi.org/10.2298/CSIS140330088R
- Rajabi, E., Sicilia M.-A., Sanchez-Alonso S. (2015). Discovering Duplicate and Related Resources using Interlinking Approach: The case of Educational Datasets, Journal of Information Science , vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 329-341. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551515575922
- Valiente M-C., Sicilia M.-A., E. Garcia-Barriocanal, Rajabi, E. (2015). Adopting the metadata approach to improve the search and analysis of educational resources for online learning, Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 51, pp. 1134-1141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.12.059
- Rajabi, E., Sicilia M.-A., Sanchez-Alonso S. (2015). Interlinking Educational Data: An Experiment with Engineering-related Resources in GLOBE , International Journal of Engineering Education , vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 893-900.
- Rajabi, E., Sicilia M.-A., Sanchez-Alonso S. (2014). An Empirical Study on the Evaluation of Interlinking Tools on the Web of Data, Journal of Information Science, vol. 40, No. 5, pp. 637-648. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0165551514538151
- Rajabi, E., Sanchez-Alonso S., Sicilia M.-A. (2014). Analyzing Broken Links on the Web of Data: An Experiment with DBpedia, Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 1721-1727. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0165551514538151
- Rajabi, E., & Etminani, K. (2021). Towards a Knowledge Graph-Based Explainable Decision Support System in Healthcare. Studies in health technology and informatics, 281, 502–503. https://doi.org/10.3233/SHTI210215
- Rajabi, E. (2019). Social Networks and Career Discovery: A Report on LinkedIn, 49th Atlantic Schools of Business Conference (ASB), Sydney, NS, Canada.
- Rajabi, E., Debruyne C., O’sullivan D. (2017). Towards a Personalized Query Answering Framework on the Web of Data, Linked Data on the Web (LDOW2017), WWW 2017, Perth, Australia, Apr. 2017.
- Rajabi, E., Abidi, SSR. (2017). Discovering Central Practitioners in a Medical Discussion Forum using Semantic Web Analytics, Informatics for Health 2017, Manchester Central, UK, Apr. 2017. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28423840/
- Fazeli, S., Rajabi, E., Lezcano L., Drachsler H., Sloep, P. (2016). Supporting Users of Open Online Courses with Recommendations: An Algorithmic Study, Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), 16th International Conference on , Austin, Texas, USA. doi: 10.1109/ICALT.2016.119
- Rajabi, E., Marenzi I. (2015). Linking a Community Platform to the Linked Open Data Cloud, Learning & Education with the Web of Data (LILE) workshop, WWW2015, pp. 701-703. https://doi.org/10.1145/2740908.2741742
- Rajabi, E., Sicilia M.-A., Sánchez-Alonso S. (2013). Interlinking educational data: an experiment with GLOBE resources, The First International Conference on Technological Ecosystem for Enhancing Multiculturality (TEEM 2013), pp. 339-348, Salamanca, Spain. https://doi.org/10.1145/2536536.2536588
- Rajabi, E., Sicilia M.-A., Sanchez-Alonso S. (2013). A Simple Approach towards SKOSification of Digital Repositories, Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR 2013), vol. 390, pp. 67-74. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-03437-9_8
- Rajabi, E., Greller W., Niemann K., Kastrantas K., Sanchez-Alonso S. (2013). Social data interoperability in educational repositories and federations, International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 169-178. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMSO.2013.056606
- Sicilia M.-A., Sánchez-Alonso S., Garcia-Barriocanal E., Minguillón J., Rajabi, E. (2013). Exploring the keyword space in large learning resource aggregations: the case of GLOBE, LACRO Workshop, LAK 2013.
- Rajabi, E., Kahani M. (2003). In Home Network Management, 3rd Electrical & Computer Conference, Kermanshah, Iran.
- Rajabi, E., Kahani M. (2002). Comparison of Software and Hardware Home Networking Technologies, National Computer Conference NCC2002, Mashhad, Iran, (In Persian).
Poster and abstract papers:
- Rajabi, E., Wardley L. J., Nadeau, J., Levallet, N., O’Reilly, N., (2020). Analysis of Tourist Emotions Shared in Social Media: The Case of Mount Kilimanjaro, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), Virtual conference (Abstract).
- Rajabi, E., Kahani M., Sicilia M.-A. (2012). Trustworthiness of Linked Data Using PKI , 21st International World Wide Web Conference, Lyon, France.
- Rajabi, E., Kahani M. (2011). Designing a Step-by-step User Interface for Finding Provenance Information over Linked Data, 11th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2011), vol. 6757, pp. 403-406, Paphos, Cyprus. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-22233-7_36
- Rajabi, E., Kahani M. (2004). Design of an MIB for the management of Jini-based Home Networks, 9th CSI Computer Conference, Tehran, Iran.
- Rajabi, E., Beheshti S. (2016). Interlinking Big Data to Web of Data, in book Big Data Optimization: Recent Developments and Challenges, Edited by Professor Ali Emrouznejad, Springer, Birmingham, UK, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-30265-2_6
- Amirian E., Rajabi, E., (2009). Database Systems, Sarafraz Publishing , First edition.
I have taught several courses in computer science domain. The following courses, however, are my formal teaching experience in Canada:
Predictive Analytics (MGSC 5125)
2020 - present
- students will learn how to discover interesting things and reveal valuable information from data by selecting a proper model
- apply machine learning methods to build predictive models and discover patterns in data
- learn diverse kinds of regressions (linear, nonlinear, and logistic)
- learn four modeling techniques will be used: k-nearest neighbors, classification, and regression trees .
- Software: Python
Material for learning:
- Slides as well as practical examples will be provided alongside the textbook in the class
- Textbook 1: Abbott, D. Applied Predictive Analytics: Principles and Techniques for the Professional Data Analyst. 2014.
- Textbook 2: Hastie, T., Tibshirani, R., & Friedman, J. The elements of statistical learning: data mining, inference, and prediction (12th Edition). Springer Science & Business Media, 2017.
- Textbook 3: Witten, I. H., Frank, Eibe, Hall, Mark A. Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques. 1884-1970.; Palestro, Christopher J.
Database Concepts (MGSC 5106)
2019 - present
- use database systems for strategic and operational decision making in organizations
- use entity relationship (ER) models to design relational database
- design and implement database applications using a RDBMS
- Software: MySQL
- Material for learning:
Data Visualization (MGSC 5127)
2019 - present
- understand different concepts of visualization
- learn how to design graphs using visualization tools
- learn how to choose an appropriate graph for a problem
- become familiar with some of tools used for data visualization tools
- Software: Tableau, Excel, D3, and Python visualization libraries
- Data Visualization Made Simple: Insights into Becoming Visual, Sosulski, K. New York: Routledge, 2018.
- Visualization Analysis and Design, Munzner, T. AK Peters Visualization Series, CRC Press, 2014.
- Storytelling with data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals, Knaflic, C. Wiley, 2015.
- Material for learning:
Quantitative Methods (MGSC 5113)
2019 - present
- demonstrate their understanding of basic quantitative techniques
- learn how quantitative methods can be used to solve managerial problems
- learn to use IS tools (e.g. MS Excel) can be used in solving business problems
- Software: Excel
- Quantitative Analysis for Management,13th Edition, Render, Stair and Hanna, Custom Edition for Cape Breton University. Companion Website: http://wps.prenhall.com/bp_render_qam_11/
- Quantitative Methods for Business, 13th Edition, D. R. Anderson, D. J. Sweeney, & T. A. Williams.
1250 Grand Lake Dr., Sydney, NS B1P 6L2
enayat_rajabi @ cbu .ca
+1 902 563 1180